Jesus Christ Is Coming Back Soon
What Makes A Church Babylon?
Revelation 13:2 says, “… and the dragon gave the beast his power, seat, and great authority.” Symbolically, the dragon is the DEVIL, and the beast is the PAPACY. Literally, the DEVIL who is the great deceiver gave the PAPACY his power to deceive the world. The PAPACY is not the DEVIL, but is one of his agents (not the only one) to deceive the world through false doctrines, miracles, forms of worship, etc, etc ... (This point is so crucial and needs to be understood well).
Since the PAPACY is the head of the Roman Catholic Church, the Bible refers to the false doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church as the “wine of Babylon” –(Revelation 14:6-11: 17:1-7;18:1-4).
The false doctrines are the wine of Babylon, which is the wine of Satan. All false doctrines originated from Satan, came down to us through his agents. Whosoever, whether an individual or a Church that teaches false doctrines that will lead anyone to lose salvation, he is an agent of Satan. We believe the Roman Catholic Church is not the only agent of the devil. Protestant Churches that have fallen and are teaching false doctrines are also agents of the devil, and they can be also classified as Babylon.
When we say the Catholic Church is Babylon, we are meaning, she has fallen away from the truth and is teaching false doctrines which can be found in the authoritative writings of the Church. Again, when we say the Protestant Churches are now Babylon, we are meaning also that those Churches have fallen away from the truth because of the false doctrines they are teaching as their beliefs.
While we believe that these two doctrines, “a spurious Sabbath and immortality of the soul” do make a Church become Babylon, however, those are not the only false doctrines that will cause a Church to be called Babylon. Any false doctrine taught by a Church that deceives mankind to lose eternal life justifies a Church to be classified under the symbolic name - Babylon,which is Satanic. I beseech the readers that we do not become deceived by the notion that there are only two false doctrines; a spurious Sabbath and the immortality of the soul” that will make a Church become Babylon.
The wine of Babylon which is Satanic is more than two false doctrines. In fact, the Bible says in James 2:8-10, if one breaks one law, he breaks all. Therefore, we cannot just restrict the false doctrines to only just two errors.
Here are some Questions intended to open our minds to reason further and deeper from the notion that only two doctrines entitles a church to be called Babylon. This belief carries the presupposition that if a Church does not teach “a spurious Sabbath and Immortality of the soul, than that Church cannot be called Babylon.
1. If a Church today teaches that Mary, the Mother of Jesus Christ is God: Wouldn’t that make that particular Church Babylon, which is Satanic?
2. If a Church today teaches that we can worship idols: Wouldn’t that make that particular Church Babylon, which is Satanic?
3. If a Church today teaches evolution: Wouldn’t that make that particular Church Babylon, which is Satanic?
4.If the SDA Church of today teach directly or indirectly that one can be saved in sin: Wouldn’t that make the SDA Church Babylon, which is Satanic? ..
Understanding Mrs. White’s Statement
“To claim that the Seventh-day Adventist church is Babylon, is to make the same claim as does Satan.” R&H, August 29, 1893
To understand the Statement above, first we should have understood Part ONE on “What makes a Church Babylon?” Secondly, we will look at two options as to which one out of the two, will harmonize with the Bible and Part ONE.
Let’s try and interpret her statement above to mean as it is. In other words, we cannot condemn the SDA Church Babylon at any time beginning from Mrs. White’s time till the end of the World regardless of what she teaches.
This notion would pose some real serious problems such as:
1. That if the SDA Church teaches ANY false doctrines in the future from Mrs. White’s time, she cannot be called Babylon. This idea makes the SDA Church infallible for eternity.
2. That the SDA Church has a license to teachANY false doctrines, but as long as she does not teach these two doctrines, “a spurious Sabbath and immortality of the soul,” she is still God’s Church.
3. The SDA Church can teach that we can worship idols, yet that will not make her Babylon.
4. The SDA Church can teach Evolution, yet that will not make her Babylon.
5. The SDA Church can teach “salvation in sin” instead of “salvation from sin,” yet that will not make her Babylon.
6. The SDA Church can teach “unconditional eternal life given to all sinners at Calvary by Jesus Christ’s death, yet that will not make her Babylon.
7. The SDA Church can teach that you were justified and forgiven of your sins before you committed them, yet cannot be called Babylon.
I can give you more examples, but I think you have seen the point, so I will leave it at there, and we will move to Option TWO.
Mrs. White says, “To claim that the Seventh-day Adventist church is Babylon, is to make the same claim as does Satan.” R&H, August 29, 1893
1. Not to take her writings outside of the context of SOP and the Bible. Ensure that the explanation does not contradict the Scripture and SOP.
2. The Bible teaches that false teachings to deceive mankind to lose salvation is of the devil and is also Babylon – refer to PART 1
3. We must take into account that Mrs. White is writing to address a certain issue at her time – What happened at her time? There were certain people calling the SDA Church Babylon. But the SDA Church was not teaching false doctrines at her time. She was not talking about year 2010.
She was right in saying to whosoever is calling the SDA Church Babylon at that time (her time) to be the same as SATAN. Her statement was not intended to be taken to mean that in the future the SDA Church was exempted from teaching errors. Nor did she intend to mean that in future, after her time if the SDA Church teaches false teachings, she cannot be called Babylon.
The above statement cannot be taken to excuse the SDA Church from teaching false doctrines or be justified for her to become the infallible Church to teach error
A. Can the SDA Church be classified as Babylon if she teaches false doctrines that will cause mankind to lose eternal life? … Of course!
B. Can the SDA Church be classified as Babylon if she teaches the doctrine of “salvation in sin?” Definitely!
Hope this helps us in our search for truth in Christ.